Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
16.09.24 at 21:48:23
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rich mixture in idle, need help (Read 1945 times)
Kennihs
TR1 Board Newbie

Bike: Yamaha Tr1 81
Rich mixture in idle, need help
21.04.23 at 18:59:58

Hi everyone,

I have renovated my old TR1(5A8) engine and i am having troubles getting the mixture in idle dialed in.
I hope that some really clever people can help me out inhere Smiley

My problem is the front cylinder that is running really rich.
No matter how far I screw ind the mixture screw i get a really rich mixture. 13/14% on the gas tester, and a really yellow/orange color on the color tune.
My exhaust from the front cylinder also looks like an old British chimney.

I have checked the carburators multiple times, all the jets, needles, float height(many times), diaphrams and so on.

- The entire ignition system has been checked
- filters and air passages.
- carburetor mounts for leakage
- gasoline
- carbs has been synchronized several times.

When i drive it, it runs decent, but i am always worries it will turn of the engine.
The engines start really well and idles decent aswell, but in time the spark plug gets so black that it starts misfiring.

I am thinking now:
- could it be valve stem seals (but do they influence the co tester?)
- could it be worn piston rings? (The smoke is not white or grey but black)
- could it be a bad valve? (Would that influence the mixture? I guess that would be poor engine performance and behaviour)

I am really lost here and need some advice

Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
nanno
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Ich mags halt gern
ned ganz so
original...

Bike: TR1, XT600, SR500-Gespann
Re: Rich mixture in idle, need help
Reply #1 - 22.04.23 at 08:43:26

Hi there!

Let's start with the simple stuff: are you sure both pilot- and main-jet are in their respective places?* I ask, because they are visually almost identical, yet would perfectly fit the bill of the fault you're describing? Another classic: are both diaphragms moving (remove the rubber elbows and give it a handfull, they will flutter a lot, but you should see them rise once you crack open the throttle.)

I think that's a pretty reasonable starting point.

Cheers,
Greg

* Yes, I saw what you wrote before, just asking, because it would be such a textbook case...

Frei ist, wer frei denkt!

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at/
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Anja-D
TR1 Board Senior Member

carpe diem

Bike: 1981 TR1. (5A8), modified with XV1100 (3LP) Eng.
Reply #2 - 22.04.23 at 09:30:58

Good morning Greg,

if you are inspecting your carburettors:
1) as nanno said before, check for proper installation of all jets to the corresponding carburettor.
2) check diaphramas for cracks or puntures in the rupper surface
3) check the stater plunger inserts for correct sitting in place, sometimes the rubberseals are old and not more so flexible. if you pull the Choke cable, watch for the moving of the stater plungers. After releasing the Cable, does the Starter plungers are going back to fully back (closed) positions? Check it by pushing the little piston on top of it. If they are able to push a little bit more in , they are open a little bit, that on the other side enriches your mixture.
4) Pilot Srew: basic setting is 2 evolutions out ( from the complete closed position. if you have turned out the Pilot screw, renew the little O-Ring, to prevent later problems. I mean, the older the Rubber material the more it goes harder. And hard Rubber is not usefull to seal sensitive adjustments.
5) after the Engine starts and warmed up perfectly let it run for a while with some raised rpm from time to time. After shot down check the colors of the ign-plugs to inspect how the adjusted mixture works. Color shout be between white-light grey and middle grey-brown. If your bike is in condition to take a ride on it, drive it for some miles and check the colors of the Ign-Plugs ceramic insulator, then.

Hope it helps you
Regards Anja

TR1_VergaserBestkg_1.jpg     Picture below may be scaled. Click link or picture for original size Click here for all attachments  

TR1_VergaserBestkg_1.jpg

TR1 seit 1982, die aktuelle seit 1988, schraube und fahre selbst
Top of page
Anja-D
TR1 Board Senior Member

carpe diem

Bike: 1981 TR1. (5A8), modified with XV1100 (3LP) Eng.
Reply #3 - 22.04.23 at 09:35:06

Sorry Grag and Kennihs, of course
Anja

TR1 seit 1982, die aktuelle seit 1988, schraube und fahre selbst
Top of page
hornschorsch

Bike: TR1, SR500, XJ650-Turbo, RD350-YPVS, R[DG]500
Reply #4 - 22.04.23 at 10:56:09

Is your engine ventilation connected to the front or rear cylinder? Normally it is connected to the rear, but i believe i have seen bikes where it was connected to the front. Mine had also high CO2 values on the rear cylinder, i removed the engine ventilation and then i could adjust the CO2 normally.

Gruss,
Schorsch

Fahrt so schnell ihr könnt, so lange ihr noch könnt!
(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
Ali

Bike: TR 1
Reply #5 - 22.04.23 at 21:03:01

Just another hint,
the petcocks often cause problems, the vacuum pipe from  Intake-manifold to Petcock can suck petrol if the diapraghm ( the one that should open the petcock) is worn, so that fuel is getting trough and makes the mixture rich, to rule that out just close it at the manifold and drive on "pri",
Ali

Top of page
Kennihs
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #6 - 24.04.23 at 07:46:41

Hi Greg,

I have double checked the jets and diaphragms several times and I am sure they work and is in their correct position. Thank you.

Hi Anja,
I have also checked the starter plungers, actually disconnected the mechanism that opens them to be sure. The bike start really easy without this.
I have installed new renovation kit for the carburetors from keyster, and have also been aware on the different parts in each set for front and rear cylinder.
thank you for the input.

Hi Hornschorsch,
Mine is connected to the rear cylinder carburetor but the hose from front cylinder. will this impact the mixture you think?

Hi Ali,
I have not checked this, but i will definitely try it. I know my petcocks are rather old. I will keep you guys updated on this, during the week. thanks!

Thanks all for the help, really appreciate it  

Top of page
hornschorsch

Reply #7 - 24.04.23 at 10:11:58

Yes, the ventilation hose comes from the front cylinder and goes to the intake elbow of the rear cylinder carburetor. On my bike it impacted the CO measurement, i turned the mixture screw completely in and still had 3-5 % CO. But as you have high CO values on the front cylinder, this will not be the cause. I believe Ali will win this contest.

Gruss,
Schorsch

(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
Kennihs
TR1 Board Newbie

Reply #8 - 24.05.23 at 07:54:49

Hi all, it's been awhile but that life when you have small children Smiley

I read another thread where someone had troubles with bad wires, so I checked my entire wire harness, I should not have done that... I now have a complete new installed   Cheesy

I tried to bypass the vacumm pipe from the intake-manifold, and sadly without any luck.
Also did a compression test on a cold motor. The test showed approx. 12 Bar on each cylinder, so I assume the piston rings are fine.

My front spark plug is very black and rear very white(with black edge), any sparkplug expert that can say anything on behalf of this?

I have discovered a ticking noise from the front cylinder head, and also found that the front cylinder backfires/misfires at times, almost looks like it want to eject the front carburetor out of its manifold. When the engine is cold and I hold my hand to the exhaust pipe from the front cylinder, my hand catches some black matter.
could this be:

- Valve stem seals?
- Worn valve springs?
- Worn valve seat?  

343264481_186001224403768_6525871816841269093_n.jpg   340042278_755883142613544_6191086292137207420_n.jpg   343745963_267619088976310_4364778418598569863_n.jpg     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

343264481_186001224403768_6525871816841269093_n.jpg
340042278_755883142613544_6191086292137207420_n.jpg
343745963_267619088976310_4364778418598569863_n.jpg

Top of page
hornschorsch

Reply #9 - 24.05.23 at 14:11:38

The rear plug looks to white for me, how much CO2 did you measure on that cylinder?

A "little bit" of ticking is normal, its the old question, how much is much...

Compression of 12 Bar is very good, so worn valves or pistonrings can be excluded in my opinion.

Quote:
and also found that the front cylinder backfires/misfires at times, almost looks like it want to eject the front carburetor out of its manifold.

Have you synchronized the carbs?

Quote:
When the engine is cold and I hold my hand to the exhaust pipe from the front cylinder, my hand catches some black matter.

Is that oil or water? When the engine is cold there occurs condensed water in the exhaust, so this can be normal.
If its oil there is possibly a valve stem seal broken.

Gruss,
Schorsch

(Uli Peil im XJ-Forum)
Top of page
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print