Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
23.10.24 at 15:29:06
Home All forum attachments and linked/autosaved images Help Search Login Register Sprache umschalten für Gäste

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drag bike to basket case to lightweight classic (Read 949 times)
rantingsmith
TR1 Board Junior Member

Nothing worth doing
is ever easy.

Bike: TR1 - Basket case, XV920 Sidecar project, XV750SE 'The Flying Anvil' cafe/brat
Drag bike to basket case to lightweight classic
17.04.17 at 12:00:50

So I bought a TR1 in bits last year and it had already been modified before being taken apart.

The story is that it was raced in the Brighton Speed trials (1/8th and 1/4er mile sprint race) the rear frame had been cut and widened slightly there were parts cut from the mainframe (tank mounts etc) it had homemade rear sets and a homemade 2-2 exhaust along with a homemade intake manifold for a twin Weber side draught carburetor.

The front and rear wheel were alloy and 17" from a Suzuki.. the rear sprocket was home made and there are 1-2 spacers to get the front sprocket in line.

The Fins on teh cylinders had been drilled and ground, the heads ported the clutch cover had been welded at some stage and the whole thing had no wiring harness or lights.

All the modification had been made for functionality not esthetics and the whole had more of an agricultural feel than anything else.. but it was a TR1 sold by someone who thought it was an XV and it was both close and cheap.

So much for the start.

I really like the Vincent Black lightning lookalike built by Greg Hageman ( http://www.pipeburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/09_03_2015_hageman_virago_01.jpg ) because: - it looks a bit like a Vincent and I just won't be able to afford a real one - the frame chop à la Sepp works really well with a paired down motorcycle - the light weight and classic look

So this gave me my design brief but I did not just want to build a straight copy of the Hageman bike but more of my own version. So I will try to keep parts of the bike's history by using the Weber and possibly the exhaust (if I can transform it into a 2-1 easily enough). I also decided to take some styling cues from another famous Vincent http://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/vincent-motorcycle-for-sale.jpg so the finished bike will be blue and I am working on footrest hangers that match the Marty Dickerson Rapide.

Fast forward to now and the bike has had most of the engine put back together with 1100 crank and pistons and a 9 plate clutch conversion à la nanno. I have been working on the frame as well as drawing up the foot plates to have laser cut. I also picked up two Hayabusa (I think) discs for the front and a set of R1 blue spots to go with them. The wire wheels are from an XS.

I have been sidetracked by buying a second hand sidecar to put on my other XV project as well as picking up an engine ( XV920) to go with it. So this weekend I got a chance to work on the bike a little and because I needed to create space for working in my workshop I decided to turn the engine and frame back into a roller to be able to at least wheel it in and out plus it would give my motivation a boost seeing it close to how it might look when done.

IMG_4711.JPG   img_4709_001.JPG   IMG_4705.JPG     Pictures below may be scaled. Click links or pictures for original size Click here for all attachments  

IMG_4711.JPG
img_4709_001.JPG
IMG_4705.JPG

“Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iro
Top of page
Email View Profile   IP Logged
rantingsmith
TR1 Board Junior Member

Nothing worth doing
is ever easy.

Bike: TR1 - Basket case, XV920 Sidecar project, XV750SE 'The Flying Anvil' cafe/brat
Re: Drag bike to basket case to lightweight classi
Reply #1 - 13.10.24 at 10:27:31

As life never quite runs like planned and with increasing expenses due to inflation mostly Ihave had to take the decision to sell my two (and three wheeled) projects.

The TR1 has gone to a nice chap called Thomas and his friends who were looking for a project to meet over and put together. He got my vision for the project and was fascinated by the (if spotted) history behind the bike.

I suggested he make himself an account here and look into all the valuable information and insights tr1.de provides.

I miss having the time and money to spend on this hobby but needs must. cry

Keep the rubber side down guys.

Cheers,

Rant.

TR1_1ncent__3.jpeg     Picture below may be scaled. Click link or picture for original size Click here for all attachments  

TR1_1ncent__3.jpeg

“Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iro
Top of page
nanno
TR1 Board Extraterrestrial Member

Ich mags halt gern
ned ganz so
original...

Bike: TR1, XT600, SR500-Gespann
Re: Drag bike to basket case to lightweight classic
Reply #2 - 15.10.24 at 06:57:07

I hope they won't be forgotten - still love the dustbin fairing and the Weber-carb (IIRC) setup on the other bike.

Cheers,
Greg

Frei ist, wer frei denkt!

http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at/
Top of page
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rantingsmith
TR1 Board Junior Member

Nothing worth doing
is ever easy.

Re: Drag bike to basket case to lightweight classic
Reply #3 - 16.10.24 at 11:12:31

I managed to fire up the Flying Anvil after 4 years of not being run with a stored Lithium Battery I got back then for the Tr1ncent. some fresh fuel and 4-5 cranks and it idled.. didn't really think it would start tbh.

It will go back up for sale as a running Project, dustbin fairing(s) and all. There are so many parts lying around, things taht are hard to find such as a Yamaha Swirl 18" front and 17" rear wheel I was planning to adapt and convert for newer tyre sizes.

Cheers, Rant.

Top of page
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print